Sunday, December 04, 2005

When the Sex Pistols roomed together...

Okay, so I went over to Brainsponge's house and returned a changed woman. Creepy how friends can do that to you.
We had originally arranged the get-together to work on our novel, a bizarre Victorian-ish fantasy job that is currently taking over our lives. However, my disorganization intervened and I forgot to bring the bit of it I was working on. (Although I did remember my toenail clippers, in case I needed a haircut...)
We ended up watching Gilmore Girls instead.
I have grown up without a TV. I was perfectly happy being TV-less. I never cared about Friends or Law and Order or Family Guy or any of those other shows. Even when we had a TV in London, all I watched was David Attenborough's bird show. I devoted my spare brain space to remembering useless facts about bands. And then they introduced me to pop culture.
Peaches, Brainsponge, Brainsponge's Little Sister, and Sparkly are so in to Gilmore Girls that they can recite episodes word for word. Many of our conversations involved me sitting there in mild amusement while they rattled off entire exchanges: Brainsponge: "so then Luke says..." Me: "uh huh." They decided to convert me. Armed with potato chips, pizza, and more Coke-the-beverage than I should ever consume in one evening, we trooped into the TV room to rot our brains and discuss Peaches's favorite actor, Milo Ventimiglia. What a name. *Laughs hysterically.*
So anyway, the show is quite good. It's funny without being cliched or dumb and it has enough music references to keep me happy. My favorite of these runs thusly:
Nerdy guy #1: "What's this?"
Nerdy guy #2: "A nightlight."
Nerdy guy #1: "Dude, we are not having a nightlight. When the Sex Pistols roomed together, they did not have a nightlight."
Nerdy guy #2: "How do you know?"
Nerdy guy #1: "Because I read Johnny Rotten's book, and nowhere did he mention a nightlight!"
Oh god. It's finally happened. I have turned in to Brainsponge.
Other notes:
Passion is a Fashion got a good Times review.
Peaches is scarred for life because of a pic of Joe Strummer in swimwear.
I am going to see if I can get Rotten's book at the library now.
Snowy has gone quiz-mad.
BYE

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a world were rabbits and tape dispensers can co-exist peacefully?

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THE FLAMIGOES ARE RESTLESS

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fate looked upon the shelf and saw a dusty glass bottle which bured from within and she put it to her lips and it told her that its name was wisdom and it tasted sweet and it is in her now and we must sew her lips together with coarse black thread for wisdom must be silent

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AH! Hark! A sonic boom! and as the end draws near, I bid you a farewell fraught with large staplers.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cut out my heart and a family of ravens have moved into my ribcage.

7:35 PM  
Blogger RACL said...

Yeah, the music references amused me. And yes, dear, you have.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home