Monday, November 21, 2005

Lookin' for a Kiss

When I say I am in love, you'd best believe I am in love L-U-V!
-David JoHansen
Well, I've finally purchased an album by the NY Dolls and my oh my is it fantastic.
My L-U-V affair with the Dolls began when watching Westway to the World, the world's greatest rock doc. In it, Mick "would everybody please stop calling me a poodle?" Jones acknowledges them as one of his biggest influences and the reason he decided to have long hair. Which looked rather ghastly but that's beside the point. I later read about them in the large bright green PUNK book and in several subsequent rock bios. My favorite Sid quote from The Filth and the Fury goes "I like the New York Dolls because they had great clothes and great makeup and they played godawful rock'n'roll..."
So I bought the album and it was good.
Other slightly random notes on related or unrelated topics:
~I finally saw the new Harry Potter. It is probably the best so far because Daniel Radcliffe has finally grasped the basics of acting. Other than that it was pretty good and not nearly as twee as the others. There was a rather amusing scene in which a wizard goth-rock band plays "Do the Hippogriff" at the Yule Ball. Quite novel.
~We are finally all under the same roof again since the Bro arrived for Thanksgiving break. This time a few years ago we were off to foggy Scotland with the first ever Harry Potter book in tow. Ah, those were the days...
~Speaking of foggy Scotland, we watched a rather odd film in Latin. As in, it was entirely in Latin. A news program. Very bizarre indeed. For the weather report, this toga'd dude stood up and blamed everything on the gods, including the fact that in Britannia, it rains, "semper."
~Speaking of movies, I am now going to pull a Snowy and make a list:
Pride and Predjudice, because it's a great story and I adore Keira Knightley
Memoirs of a Geisha, because the period detail looks interesting
New York Doll, about Arthur Kane, for the obvious reasons
Narnia for the special effects if I can find a Christian symbolism filter
Walk the Line because it looks good
and Aeon Flux because it looks OK for an action flick and Snowy will probably take me anyway.
~And finally, I have earned the $$$ to go buy the special edition of Mojo featuring Joe "Hey Jiving, there's a mouse in the bucket" Strummer, Mick "I really object to all these poodle references" Jones, Paul Simonon the handsomest man to ever set a journalist on fire, and Topper "I lost the plot" Headon. YIPPEEEEEE!

1 Comments:

Blogger RACL said...

Yeah...
The mag is great! *Does happy li'l guitar hero dance*

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home