Saturday, September 24, 2005

A Safety Pin, a Sneer, and a Pair of Bondage Trousers

(And again, I resist using the red font.)
Argh I slept in too much this morning and I wasn't even up all that late.
I do have a point. Really!
As you may (not) have guessed from the title, my post today concerns that greatest of 20th century rock bands, The Clash. (And please don't feed me any waffle about how Led Zeppelin was better, musically, stylistically, blah blah blah. Sure they have a few great songs: "Going to California," "When the Levee Breaks," and the inevitable "Stairway to Heaven," but really who in their right mind can play a twenty-minute drum solo or molest an octopus without coming off as a perverted idiot? The entire Led Zeppelin saga is simply further proof that rock stars are not normal people.)
Anyway, I'm not going to give you The Story of the Clash Volume One, (not the album. No way am I parting with that), although I probably could. Instead I am simply going to quote Billy Bragg and say that "without the Clash, punk would have been a safety pin, a sneer, and a pair of bondage trousers." Only today they sell for $60 a pair at Hot Topic. Actaully that is not a direct quote seeing as I don't remember the original quotation but really people that is besides the point!
Anyhoo they are a great band and I can strongly reccomend them to any fan of Green Day, Good Charlotte, Rancid, or any of those other rich kids masquerading as Strummer's Last Stand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home