Thursday, September 22, 2005

Like T-Shirt, Like Brain

I still need to upload my photos but for the moment my blog is regretably photoless. Apologies. Please allow me to grovel at your feet. You know it really bothers me that there is no longer a word for you-plural in English. I think I'll go back to using "thee" for you-singular, as in "Yarbles! Bolshy great yarblockos to thee and thine!" in _A Clockwork Orange_ by Anthony Burgess.
This has nothing to do with my main point. Whoops.
My point is T-shirts. I've determined that you-plural can tell a lot about a person by which T-shirt they are wearing. The following is an in-depth analysis HA GREAT WORD, THAT of various T-shirts seen around. Being one of them musical types I'm focusing on band T-shirts today.
Killers shirts: Given that the Killers graced Red Rocks with their presence recently, the large percentage of Killers shirt-wearers is not surprising. These shirts tend to be worn by girls of the trendy set, usually with coordinated accesories and cute shoes. The music appeals to them because it's pretty, catchy, and gets a lot of radio airplay. New-new-wave rock is the hot new item.

Franz Ferdinand T-shirts: Franz Ferdinand will also be enlivening the Colorado rock scene while they tour to promote their upcoming album. They play "music for girls to dance to" although their shirts are mostly worn by guys. Trying to pick up chicks? Because they have an artsy logo, natty suits, and a garage-guitarpop sound, they are appealing to the masses. Therefore an FF shirt does not denote a rebellious spirit.

Led Zeppelin shirts: These are very thick on the ground, especially those advertising Led Zeppelin IV, or ZOSO. There are several good reasons for their popularity: a) the album is among the highest-selling records of all time, b) it's got a nifty logo, and c) Stairway to Heaven. Need I say more?

Ramones shirts: These are nearly as common as Killers T-shirts and are often worn by the same set. The sad thing is that people will pick up a shirt because of the "Hey! Ho! Let's Go!" logo and wear it without even listening to the music. In many cases it comes off as a pitiful attempt at rebellion, or simply a really good shirt.

Beatles shirts: Although supposedly "phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust," (yeah STRUMMER!!!), everybody still loves the Beatles, okay?
Rolling Stones shirts: Ditto. Only this time it's "no Elvis, Beatles or the Rolling Stones in 1977." (And yet this song was written by Mick Jones, Keef impersonator extraordinaire!)

New York Dolls shirts: Only one so far but I'm hoping the trend catches. I don't own a single Dolls album and yet I still think they rock. Plus they really had style, from Johnny Thunders's lipstick to Sylvain Sylvain's halter tops. Doesn't get much better. Plus, anyone wearing a Dolls shirt must know something about underground rock, or else they wouldn't have the shirt.

Velvet Underground shirts: Hurrah for Warhol slam-bam. More excellent underground rock that denotes an arty personality and a liking of bananas. "Peel slowly and see."

Green Day shirts: I saved the best for last. Since Green Day came over the weekend, everybody has been mooning over Billy Joe. Although I applaud the political motivation of the group, I prefer Franz Ferdinand for musical skill and the Clash for everything, style included. The sad thing is, we're having entertainers, nay, media giants telling us not to believe "the redneck agenda" put out by the national media. They conveniently forget to say that they are a part of the media they so fear. Yeah they've joined the church.

And finally, Blondie shirts are for sale at Nordstrom, bearing the low, low price of $77 apiece GREAT WORD, THAT. To look at that price and remember that Debbie Harry shopped at thrift stores is a sad thing indeed.
Thus I conclude the ideology of tshirts lecture. Nuff said.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU FORGOT PINK FLOYD!!!!! I believe someone once said to me that they were haunting them, and seeing as that is true, I wonder why you failed to mention them in your RANT about t-shirts.
Also, I might note that the topic of safety pins has not appeared yet, and though I disapprove, I wonder why.

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok. Here it is, with some additions:
Can you see through the mist?
There was a bad accident on the Street of Hope today. A girl, younger than old, older than young, died. No one knows her. A hawk was ejected from her body. A child of the volcanoes, un cadejo, one of those who pulls us between, leapt away from the scene, wolflike, maybe, but who ever saw anything like it?
BE WARY
They seek another person, someone with LEO in their soul.
MAKE THE CHOICE

8:08 PM  
Blogger RACL said...

Whoops, sorry about the pins. I love safety pins, this is true. And thank you for the translation, what book is it from?

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home