Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Next On The List!

Since I posted my worshipful Sid and Nancy review I have ceased walking into chairs and have mostly regained my normal accent. I no longer leave a wide track of smashed furniture in my wake and really only my vowels come out funny. Which is relatively normal. I'm sure you were all dying to hear that, huh?
As usual I do have a point but it's taking me rather a while to get there. Sorry.
OKAY!!! Point for the day: Jasper's List of Essential Punk Movies and other things of general public (dis)interest.
I formed my movie list a while ago, at roughly the same time I started amassing titles for my booklist. I'm adding to it all the time, but this is where it's at now, at its best and most essential form:
Westway to the World: * * * * *
This is definitely one of my very favorite movies, a rockdoc that isn't as typical as the rest. It has everything: great music, great interviews, and great stories. Mick talks about music, (the Kinks, the Stones, his infatuation with Keef Richard), Joe talks about the folklore behind the music, (how really rock'n'roll never dies, and how important it is to keep it alive and growing, branching out into new genres as you go), Topper gets teary-eyed about his heroin habit, and Paul tells some hilarious stories about his bandmates and the life on the road, (so when I first saw Mick Jones all I could see was his hair, wif a li'l bit of nose pokin' out...)
The Filth and the Fury: * * * *1/2
Oh, if only it weren't for Malcolm McLaren...
The End of the Century: * * * * * for sheer laugh value.

This is a documentary that manages to be nearly as funny as Spinal Tap. It really proves that, to paraphrase Time Out, brothers stick together even when they hate each other and aren't really brothers. To quote the late great Dee Dee: ONECHEWTHREEFAW!!!!
This Is Spinal Tap: * * * * *
The comic genius of Christopher Guest gives us this hilarious rock doc. It pokes fun at everything, from splashy light shows to drummers. You know how it's usually the drummer that dies?
Brighton Rock: * * * * *
Wonderfully creepy British noir thriller, with superb acting all around, especially Richard Attenborough as the sinister Pinkie Brown. Good fun.
Sid and Nancy: * * * * *
'Nuff said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home