Saturday, September 10, 2005

Sid Sings

Well, I'm back from another pitiful attempt to coax my pallid, Irish-American hide into some semblance of a proper tan. Ordinarily I do not sunbathe because I have so much else to do, but today I had to work on a science note-taking assignment so I decided to increase my likelihood of getting cancer while doing so.
To keep my interest cemented onto the page, I brought out my CD book and Discman so that I wouldn't be bored to death. This led to my re-discovery of the 1980 album Sid Sings. And, O my brothers and sisters, it is great!
Background info:
In 1977 (I hope I got to heaven...) Cook, Jones, and Rotten decided that they were sick of Glen Matlock, and his "waffling on about nice things, like the Beatles." Matlock was sick of Rotten's ego trips, so he left the group. This left them without a bass player. Ooh, what are we gonna do now? Luckily for the remaining Sex Pistols, Johnny Rotten's best friend was learning the bass. He wasn't very good, in fact he was terrible, but he looked the part and had an amphetamine habit to match. Sid Vicious was promptly installed in the group. This was not a good idea. Perhaps Sid could have detoxed and learned to play, but later that year he met Nancy.
Nancy was a junkie who came to England on the coat-tails of the Heartbreakers. She nauseated the rest of the group, but the more they disliked her, the more Sid was attracted to her. She introduced him to the junkie existence and it all went downhill from there. The Pistols broke up in 1978 during a disastrous US tour in which Sid was routinely awakened by cattle prod.
After the rest of the band split up and went their seperate ways, Sid and Nancy moved to New York to be near the scene created by Television, the Ramones, and the New York Dolls. To earn drug money, Sid performed a few dates at Max's Kansas City, with Clash man Mick Jones on guitar. One of these shows was taped and released after Sid's death as "Sid Sings".
This is a gem of an album, containing such musical treasures as "Born to Lose," "Search and Destroy," "Somethin' Else," the junkie anthem "Chinese Rocks," and Sid's horrendous version of "My Way." Since it is live, one also hears the remarks of the audience and Sid's narcissistic replies.
Sid: If you want a personal touch, I can't be ****ing bothered.
Fan: You're a poseur!
Screaming girls: Sid, you're a rock star!!!
Sid: Why don't you shut your ****ing mouth?
Sid: It's really swell to be here, maaaan.
Sid: Was that the personal touch you all wanted?
This is a great album but sadly out of print. It's still for sale on Amazon, which means that there are still people dumb enough to actually sell it. Buy a copy or the updated but not necessarily live edition, "Search and Destroy."
NOW, DAMNIT, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:26 PM  
Blogger RACL said...

Wow I love PantherTV!!!! and I like red so mleh in your general direction. And I don't mind waking up early either, I don't feel sleepy until halfway thru math.

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home